- The competition is open to breweries operating as a registered business, and registered for tax within the UK, EU, Scandinavia or South Africa.
- Affiliates, channel partners, agents and employees of the Barth-Haas group are not eligible to win the Underdog Brewing Competition.
- The beer must be brewed to a recognised "pale ale style" or variation such as an IPA. The BJCP 2015 style guidelines will be used to assess a beers eligibility. Eligible beers will be allowable under the following BJCP categories:
- 12A British Golden Ale
- 12B Australian Sparkling Ale
- 12C English IPA
- 18A Blonde Ale
- 18B American Pale Ale
- 21A American IPA
- 21B Specialty IPAs (includes Belgian, Black, Brown, Red, Rye, White)
- 22A Double IPA
- 22B American Strong Ale
- 24B Belgian Pale Ale
- The Comet hop variety must make up a minimum of 50% of the total hop addition used when brewing the beer. All formats of Comet hops grown in any growing region are allowed including whole leaf, BBC pellets, and T90 pellets.
- Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe, Vic Secret or Enigma varieties of hops cannot be used at any point when creating the beer.
- While natural adjuncts, advanced hop products & fruit additions are allowed as part of the brewing process, the spirit of the competition is to celebrate Comet and its attributes.
- Entries must be delivered to Simply Hops in Paddock Wood before 5pm on Wednesday 20th March 2019. The delivery address is:
- Entries must be submitted with a completed submission form which will be emailed to you when you register at www.underdogbrewcomp.beer. Any entries submitted without a completed accompanying submission form may be rejected.
- One person must be named on the submission form as the "brewer", and they will be the primary beneficiary of the £10,000 travel fund. The brewery will be able to substitute another employee for the named beneficiary only with the agreement of Simply Hops.
- Entries must be submitted bottled, clearly labelled and a minimum of 10 litres provided.
- Brewers must be able to accurately replicate the beer and provide a minimum of 150L per brew in kegs to be served at events during 2019.
- All entries will be judged by a panel of independent judges using the randomised blind tasting method during March 2019.
- The beer will be judged purely on the judging criteria described in the "Find Out More" page available on-line at www.underdogbrewcomp.beer. No other criteria will be taken into account during the judging process.
- Winners will be announced on or before the 30th March 2019.
- The winning beer will receive £2500 paid to the brewery named on the application form, within 30 days from receipt of details of a valid business account into which the money can be paid.
- If the winning brewery requests payment in a currency other than Pounds Sterling, then the prize will be paid based on the exchange rate at the time of transfer. Any additional fees incurred will be deducted from the prize fund before transfer takes place.
- A further travel fund of a maximum of £10,000.00 will be made available to cover accommodation, subsistence, travel and entry costs to events and trips that will be agreed upon between Simply Hops and the winner with sufficient advance notice. Simply Hops will have final approval on all attendance at all trips and events.
- All bookings and costs in relation to the travel fund will be dealt with directly by Simply Hops in agreement with the winner. No cash alternatives will be offered for the travel fund under any circumstances.
- The winner will be the Underdog Brewing Competition winner for one calendar year from 31st March 2019 to 30th March 2020. After this point all agreements between the winner and Simply Hops will come to an end.
- Any funds not spent from the travel fund by 30th March 2020 will be forfeit.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age.
- Simply Hops will make all reasonable efforts to promote and serve the winning beer at the events attended by Simply Hops throughout 2019 with the notice to, and agreement of, the brewer.
- By participating, you agree that Simply Hops can use your contact information solely for the purposes of the Underdog Brew Competition 2019. All personal data will be stored securely in-line with the General Data Protection Regulations. They will be deleted from our records if and when we have no further legitimate business use for them or upon request from you.
Underdog Brewing Competition
Hop Pocket Lane